Sunday, June 20, 2010

Scary Days South of the Border

Just a few days ago I read an article on Reuters.com that both disturbed and intrigued me, bearing the headline "'I killed, cut off heads' says repentant Mexico hitman." Judging by some of the comments left on the article, some people interpret this as a reason why there should be stricter laws against illegal immigration.  I'd rather not go into that however, as I have my own opinion on the matter that may or may not be voiced someday in the future.

After reading what this man had to say, especially the very last line of the article which reads: "We come from all over, we just come in to do what we came to do, we make the kill and get out, disappear."  This man is basically saying that there are many of them of nearly any age (he made his first execution at age 17) and they can be anywhere at any time.  Yes this article refers to killings connected to drug cartels and the violence taking place in Mexico specifically, but who's to say that these killers don't come from elsewhere?  They could come from America, Brazil, Canada, Cuba, the list goes on!  The commenters focus on these hitmen coming from Mexico and needing to keep them "out of our country," but the cold hard fact is that these people can come from anywhere!

Going beyond the mysterious aspect of these hired killers is the more personal curiosity of "do I know this person?"  Now obviously I don't know the man interviewed in the article personally, but I do have roots in Mexico from my biological grandmother and great-grandfather.  Who knows?  This man could be a distant relative, or one of the many hitmen he mentions being out there could be a distant relative...and that is just a chilling thought to consider I could be blood related, however distant, to someone that kills for money.

Think beyond the issues in Mexico, and into other areas both foreign and local.  Mafias, gangs, and extremist groups that employ hitmen to eliminate their enemies and those that stand against them.  Family and friends, your neighbor two doors down...any of them could be part of something you might never expect.  At the same time none of them could be.

I don't intend this blog to make anyone feel paranoid or have suspicions of those around them.  I just want to share that chilling feeling of the mere thought that you might somehow be connected to someone with the deepest and darkest of secrets.

What strangers lie within the face of those you're most familiar with?  A little food for thought as you fall asleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment