Saturday, December 11, 2010

My First Minnesotan Blizzard

So today – December 11, 2010 – Jill and I woke up to what can easily be described as a literal Winter Wonderland.  White snow EVERYWHERE, and lots of it still falling.  In fact, as I write this the snow is finally starting to taper off a bit.



The truth of the matter is, this is probably the worst individual snow storm I have experienced in my life aside from the one in my home town of London, KY back in 1994 (or somewhere in that area).  Back then however, I wasn’t quite old enough to effectively shovel the driveway.  Not so much this time.

I put off shoveling the sidewalk/backyard-path/driveway at first, hoping that the snow would stop earlier in the day.  HUGE mistake on my part.  When I tried to let Charlie outside to use the bathroom (he was NOT happy about all the snow) and the door wouldn’t open more than 4-5 inches, I knew I had severely underestimated the extent of the snowfall.


What followed was well over an hour of shoveling a path through 2-feet-deep snow (higher in some places) from our back door to the front and to the street.  Well, where the street would be if not covered in snow.  Normally a simple path wouldn’t take too long, but between the snow continuing to fall; crazy wind blowing the snow everywhere; and the side-walls of the path occasionally collapsing…the task became slightly more begrudging than trying to eat fruitcake from Wal-Mart.

Eventually my crude little path was done; allowing Charlie easy access to the back yard for his potty breaks and for us to…well, walk from the front of the house to the back (I never said it was a perfect plan).  As a result my body feels like I just finished running tackle drills in football, and I still have sidewalks and a driveway to shovel tomorrow in addition to removing the cars from their shallow graves.


So…anyone want to lend a hand tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment